Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Great Kitchen Remodel

When I first moved to Florida some six?  Or was it seven years ago?  Susan says eight but that doesn't sound right to me.  I had no intention to buy a home.

I have owned homes before and frankly at this stage in my life I was thinking that it be easier to find a condo or live in a townhome.  I would let someone else worry about the maintenance, mow the lawn and deal with roofs and other crap.

The problem I found out is that when you're more or less broke and working a job that is paying you no where near where near what you should be getting paid based on your experience and expertise, you don't have many options.  My first apartment in the city was...shall we say "ghetto adjunct" and Susan didn't feel safe there.

We ended up moving to a part of town called Westchase right after our lease ended and while we were happier there, our rent cut into our nightlife and other funds a bit more than we liked.  It's hard to rebuild your lives when you're unable to save money.  Which lead me getting my first scooter, but that's another story.

We made a lot of improvements since buying it in 2011
I never expected to be living in Zephyrhills, home of the famed water but also famous for being a "55 and older community."  It's also an hour commute for me to work every day.  When you fall in love with a home however you fall in love with it.   My 1550 square foot home (2/3 bedrooms, 2 baths) works for me.

It sat empty for two odd years, needed a new roof, landscaping, paint, and a lot of love.   We bought it in cash.  Putting the new roof on, painting and laying hardwoods.

Since buying it my job changed.  I'm now making a paycheck that is in line with my experience and expertise.  We have completed the outdoor work that was needed.  We finally decided it was time for the kitchen.  The one project, other than the master bath, that I've been wanting to put off for the longest period of time.   Our kitchen is 310 square feet alone.   It needs new tile, new and updated appliances (our dishwater does not work at all and the stove recently lost a burner).

  That is part of the original kitchen to the left. We have not really changed anything in it since then.  It still has that wallpaper.  Those off white appliances, and the stained and worn tile.

So the great kitchen remodel begins.  Although I'm not sure if we are going to replace the countertops and cabinets at this time.   Our budget would double if we went with granite and our kitchen has a huge amount of cabinets.  To many frankly.  Forty six cabinet doors.  I had to count twice to be sure.

I'm afraid to even ask what that cost will be.  I know that new appliances and tile alone (with labor) is.  I'm thinking that can be put off for a bit longer.  The painting and backsplash we can do ourselves.

I'm not thinking of moving anytime soon.   I love to sit out on the back porch and watch the birds flutter about our various bird feeders.  I may be a city boy at heart but I do love the quiet here.  The soft breezes at night.  It does occur to me though that I've doubled the price I've paid for this home...and that equality would help me moving forward.


So as I start to think about the rest of my life, the next 20 or 30 odd years I can see myself staying here.  My only concern being if my black wine fridge is going to clash to badly with the new chrome appliances.  I'm sure if your interested in following the progress you can see it on my Facebook page.

Of course I got to get through this project first.  Then deal with some opportunities outside of work which scare and fascinate me at the same time.  Scooterbob is supposedly coming my way soon.  I wonder how he is with a trowel?

2 comments:

Canajun said...

Kitchen remodelling is one of those endless tasks... "Well if I'm going to do this I might as well do that at the same time... etc." Good luck.

Trobairitz said...

Ahhh kitchen remodel. I remember it well. Hubby and I did our kitchen just shy of 8 years ago. We went with Ikea cabinets and counter tops. We did all the work ourselves over a 7-day Christmas break one year. Tore out the old, and installed the new. We managed to come in under $5k including appliances (except we never did replace the fridge)

For chuckles and grins here is a link to my post with pics http://goo.gl/VdkB27

You two will enjoy the new kitchen and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.