Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Putting the scooter to work in the New Year.

Over the last four years or so I have been self employed in addition to my normal everyday job; where I work for 3M in their GPS division.  I don't make a lot of money being self employed, in fact I wonder if I make any money sometimes but it keeps me out of trouble and I enjoy it.   I deliver various publications to various locations two days out of the week.  Mileage and gas are my biggest expenses.

Like everyone, I want to stretch that dollar.  The question is how to put my scooter to work for me.  Storage was important to me, and was a major decision in my purchase.  I have enough room for my lunch, a sweater if needed on the ride home from work, a laptop, a book, etc.

Scooters and motorcycles are used the world over for deliveries and commuting.  As such I've been wondering how to put the scooter to work for me.  I've already used it a few times to run errands to the store.  Or if somehow we missed a store I would jump on the bike to run the missing publications to that location.  It's one thing to do 1 or two stores.  Another to do 50 or 60.

Economicly it makes sense.  My car gets about 25 miles per gallon, the Burgman gets a little over twice that.  Generally speaking the route that I'm considering running the bike on is about 40 miles long, barely over a half gallon of gas.  Parking is easier as well as often I would be able to pull right up to the door, grab what I need and then run in and out in a matter of moments.

The biggest disadvantage would be stopping, opening the storage under the seat and  carrying the older papers to a location that I can dispose of them.  Nor I am sure that I could carry the full amount of publications I need.  Luckily the way I have configured the route, I will pass the "Hub" about a third of the way through the route so I could stop again if needed.

The question of stopping and starting is also a concern.  My job is largly "drop and go" which is exactly like it sounds.  How much time will be added to the route by my stopping, getting off the bike, opening the storage department, getting the papers I need and then doing the delivery, throwing out the older publications and then back onto the bike?

Only one way to find out.

2 comments:

Dar said...

Robert, sitting thinking about this, I don't think you are looking at much time difference in getting in & out of a car versus the scooter. I think it might save you time because parking should be simpler. Your burgie should have enough room, you could always add a top case or saddle bags. I think you just have to give it a whirl & see which one you like.

Keith - Circle Blue said...

I think you said it all in the very last sentence. "Only one way to find out." Oh, the suspense.

Good luck.