Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2015

Pursuing your bliss

I've been giving a lot of thought lately about THE FUTURE!

The lovely Susan is out of the hospital, beaten up but still the plucky lovely woman I fell in love with all those years ago.  Her daughter will be in town for a few weeks to take care of her while I'm required to be at work. So even though my mind is temporary at ease, it still churns with uncertainty.  I don't care for uncertainty.

I thought about these things after a long and frustrating day at work,  where on paper at least the day appeared to be a good one, but underneath it was crap-tastic.  The ride home, on familiar roads nearly empty of traffic on a warmer than normal night, should have eased a troubled mind but did little to help.  A nice glass of white wine and early to bed should have helped but did not.

A lot of these issues that plague my mind are dealing with retirement (20 - 25 years away EEK!), insurance (I'm exposed) and job related (it's a good job but certainly not what I expected to be doing at this time in my life).

I need a break.  I need to pursue what makes me happy for a bit.  I thought about some of my fellow bloggers adventures and trials as I rode.  Including the Bobscoot projectMotorcycle Philosophy, the Rounders forum and other sites.  Writing makes me happy.

Slowly but surely a nebulous idea started to form in the back of my mind the other night.  In a few days I hope to be contacting many of my fellow bloggers and riders about this idea.  Looking for input and data.  Maybe even a contribution or two...of the non monetary kind.
a postcard of a simpler time.

I'm curious to know what makes us tick.  Those of us the ride all year round, or have given up their cars to fully accept the two wheeled way of life.  Why some of us have given up the comfort of our cars to be cold, wet, hot, sunburned, windburned...and why that makes us happy.

For a brief moment in time my bike was my primary means of transport, in addition to saving some cold hard cash, it was an interesting experience.  Of course, living in Florida, riding year round is a rather easy affair.

I am curious to learn about those where riding year round is not an easy choice.  

Of course, nothing may come of this, the project may never get off the ground...but it should be fun to see if it does.

5 comments:

SonjaM said...

You need a break? Welcome to my world, since Bobskoot's passing I have been thinking about this "break" as well, and is should definitely include motorcycle content. I haven't any specific plans laid out yet but I sure want to ride around North America and visit or revisit many places and people. I am curious what your plans might be...

Trobairitz said...

Glad to hear Susan out of the hospital. It can never be easy when the one we love is hurt and/or hurting.

With the work, work, work, go, go, go, lifestyles we all seem to have nowadays it would be nice to getaway for a respite. Life doesn't always give us that chance either.

KaTy Did said...

Breaks are good for the mind and body and a must do sometimes. When you feel it, take it, you may never have that chance again.

David Masse said...

Rob, there's a lot of us in the same boat it seems.

Deb said...

Feel free to contact me. I feel that my recent transitions fall in line with your own reflections...